Friday, January 19, 2007

Clinically speaking...

Well all, it's been a busy busy month for me. Just to get you caught up, I'll forgo any of my usual charm and wit, and will go with a more straight forward approach.

Dec 27th, 2006 - (threw up) I visited my doctor for my first treatment of the chemotherapy Irinotican
Dec 28th, 2006 - (threw up) Any substance that might have once been food has now turned into pure liquid and is heading at full speed towards the nearest exit.
Dec 31st, 2006 - (threw up) A fearless band of British explorers brave outrageous winter weather and the Garden State Parkway in order to chime in the new year by watching me sink into my couch in between volatile visits to the bathroom.
Jan 3rd, 2007 - (threw up) I return for my second round of chemo. My doctor said "If you were so sick, why didn't you call me?" to which I replied "I thought this was just how the chemo was going to be." My doctor looked down, shook his head, and mumbled "idiot". Later that day the doctor admitted me to the hospital for dehydration.
Jan 6th, 2007 - (threw up) I'm re hydrated and keeping down most of my food, so they let me out of the hospital. I head to my dad's house to chill until my next chemo.
Jan 10th, 2007 - (threw up) I went back for round three of the chemo. My body, even after having spent that time in the hospital, was still not ready for chemo. I had not stopped throwing up since I left the hospital and my bowels have been flowing like the Hudson. My doctor said he wouldn't give me chemo because my body couldn't handle it just then. He also felt that there had to be another reason the vomiting and diarrhea. He said I needed to rehydrate again and also have a ct scan. I could do them on and out patient basis, or he could admit me. I decided to try the outpatient route.
Jan 11th, 2007 - (threw up) I wake up to go have my ct scan but my body is just exhausted and I don't have enough energy to walk to the front door. I decided to go with my other option; get admitted back into the hospital. Later that evening I'm admitted and had a ct scan which revealed a blockage in my colon.
Jan 13th, 2007 A colonoscopy shows that the blockage is in part because there is a lot of swelling in my colon, most likely from the chemo. The doctor also finds 2 ulcers, again probably from the chemo.

Over the next few days I've gotten a little better, then a little worse, then a little better. I also got another round of chemo on the 17th. It looks as though things are leveling out. I'll probably be home tomorrow. With a few medicinal adjuncts, I should be able to return to a chemo schedule where I'm only sick for a few days and then I have good days in which to live. We shall see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've left me speachless - I could not come close to imagining what's been going on with you. I'm so glad to hear that you're out of the hospital. Please keep the blogs comming - it's important for all of us to know that you're still hanging in there.
All my love,
Helen