Monday, May 07, 2007

And here we go again...

For the last month or so I have been having the time of my life. It's been the healthiest point of the last two and a half years. I've gone to AC a couple of times, hung out with many friends, and even took a quick trip to Europe (see the previous blog). I've come to live my life in the spaces in between. In the times between chemo and surgery. In the time between hospitals and home rest. In the times between symptoms and not.

I had a cat scan today. The last one, in March, was clean. This one was a prelude to my next visit with my oncologist. He wants to know how things are looking before we start chemo again. Yup, that's right, chemo.

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. Sometimes I think it's difficult for people who know me to understand the actual enormity of my disease. And believe me, it has nothing to do with them. It's just that I see them when I'm well, in those spaces, and when I'm well, it is difficult to imagine that there is anything wrong with me. Most people don't see me at the worst. The only indication they get of insidiousness of the cellular junkyard that is my abdominal cavity is this here blog. The fact is that I still, and pretty much will forever, have cancer. It doesn't look like it's going anywhere. I just have to keep beating it back and keep it a bay.

The next few days will bring some anxiety, a couple of sleepless nights, and more than a few fruit flavored Tums.

I should have the results by the end of this week, or the beginning of next. I'll let ya know what happens so stay tuned and I'll see you back here, same bat time, same bat channel.

No comments: