Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Reverse Peristalsis

Those of you that are squeamish may want to skip this blog.

I would like to explain to you the process of chemo vomiting.

At first I feel fine. Then, the following series of events occurs within about a minute. I get warm. It starts at the base of the back of my neck, just below my shoulders. A warm feeling makes its way up and around my head. I begin to sweat. At the same time there is a sour milk heartburn erupting in my chest. At this point I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. I usually feel acutely aware of every little thing that is going on in my body. Then the kicker; I feel a cramping at the bottom of my stomach. That's the big sign. I head into the bathroom for the final steps. The cramp moves up through my stomach, like when you squeeze frosting from a pastry bag, and up it comes. A few hurls and I'm done. The cramps stop, the heat dissipates, the sweating is over.

When I'm done I like to put on some 50's music and dance around with nothing on but socks. I'm not quite sure that part is because of the chemo.

1 comment:

Old said...

Hey Billy,

I was sorry to read of your renewed bout. Definitely, hang in there, and I have my money on you for a k.o. in this re-match.

your pal,
Lance

'It happened when I was so high, and much nicer.'
-Dylan Thomas

Hedylus

c 280bc

Let Us Drink

(He 5)

Let us drink, then
And
perhaps we’ll find
something new
in our wine  -
some eloquent, honey-coloured word.
So come!
Fill me up with jugs of Chian wine and say,
"Go ahead, Hedylus, play!”
I hate an empty life -
empty of wine.